Friday, June 5, 2009

Long time no see

Quite often we come stumble upon friends/relatives/acquaintances who we haven't seen for a while. Pretty normal... ordinary circumstances.. What follows is the uneasy part.

At Inox..
Me: Hey!!!
X: Hey!
Me: Its been so long!
X: Yeah ! Long time no see..
Me: So ... how are u?
X: Am good.. working.
Me: Oh! *not interested.. still* Where are u working?
X: at ABC ltd..
Me: Oh thats nice!
X: What about u?
Me: I am working at blah company.

--Many exclamations later..

X: Nice.. so ur here for which movie?
Me: Blah *Please dont come for the same movie.. I dont know wat else to talk about*
X: Oh! I am going for crap movie
Me: *Thank god* Heard its very good..
X: Yeah..
Me: err...
X: err..
Me: Okay then.. enjoy.. looks like its time for your movie..
X: Yeah yeah *Thank god for that*
Me & X: Bye!

-------

Its not like I am not happy to see him/her/them. But after this 2 minute conversation I dont know what else to say. Obviously we are not going to exchange numbers under the pretext of staying in touch.. so that dialogue is out of context. I dont want to know if X is married or single or divorced because 'marriage' is forbidden territory in terms of conversation. 'Kids' is a banned topic. That leaves me only with 'Hi.. how are u and where are u working' and an awkward expression which implies I am hunting for topics to avoid the uncomfortable silence.

The worst was this one time at Satyam when I had gone for 'Gothika' with D. I think D had gone to get popcorn.

Arbit voice - Hey !! Priya .. its been so long since I saw you. How are you?
Me - *Staring and incredibly lost*.. ugh..
Arbit voice - How is everybody?
Me - *Everybody = ??* ugh..

(I haven't said a word all this while to this girl who seeems so glad she bumped into me coz I have no damn clue about who she is! )

D - Hi S !!!
D to me - pssssst thats S from school!
Me - OH! so thats how I know you!
S - You didnt recognize me all this while?
Me to myself - *Dont think aloud!!!*

Already I have a problem with placing people.. then comes the problem of having civilized conversation. How much can a little girl (me) take :-( ?

..p..

1 comment:

Arch said...

Ditto! Annoyance and Stupidity together. So many similar situations :)